Setup Calibration Kit for Revox PR99 (Mk1)
Nagravox Calibration kits are different to what you might expect, they are a lot more than just a calibration tape!
Developed over the last 3 years specifically for discerning audio enthusiasts and professionals, the rationale is to provide an appropriate set of tools, instructions and media to test, calibrate and setup a specific model Revox or Studer machine properly. Three resources based on the three fundamental chains of signal processing.
* INPUT OUTPUT CHAIN * PLAYBACK CHAIN *RECORD CHAIN
A cheap short generic reel of tape recorded by an enthusiast to try and make some money from his tape machine on eBay is not realistically going to help you setup and calibrate your machine properly. Calibration is the final step and is not just a process of throwing on a playback tape, tweaking some trimmers and hoping it will all come together. All 3 chains must be considered singly and then together. You also need to understand what gear and instruments are needed and how to use them. Awareness of modern tape formulations, relevant steps, differences, peculiarity's and nuances of a particular model, later factory updates not in factory manuals and hints and tips based on experience make calibration and setup a science and not a hit or miss affair.
The Nagravox calibration kit is designed to setup and calibrate your machine fully and properly. Each kit is tailored for a specific machine and your tape type preferences. Feel confident that your machine is setup and performs the way it was designed and manufactured.
PLEASE NOTE: This kit is for the Revox machines that require 1 playback chain calibration tape. A77 B77 A700 A-G36 PR99mk1. The PR99 mk2/3 and C270 take 2 tapes and are a separate listing.
Nagravox Setup and Calibration kits include:
• Playback calibration tape or tapes - most Revox are 1 except the PR99 mk2/3 and C270 which are two. Studer machines variably require 2 or more depending on speeds and equalisation.
• New fresh record setup tape for calibrating the record chain
• A set of detailed instructions, explanations, required equipment (which are not too onerous nor expensive), diagrams and check sheets SPECIFIC to your particular model machine. These are based on Revox Studer manuals, Factory Tech Bulletins, industry best practice and Nagravox’s own experience repairing, updating and restoring tape machine’s.
You need to decide:
• Machine model and whether you may want the kit to cater for multiple models.
• Speeds and equalisation
• The tape type and formulation you will be using to set the machine up for. We recommend SM900 or LPR90 but can accommodate SM911, LPR35, SM468, ATR Master and ATR MDS36. (All currently manufactured new tape)
The playback calibration tape/s are long length on a 7" special somewhat 'ugly' blue reel (so it can’t be mixed up or easily recorded over in error) and includes a plethora of appropriate length tones (the important ones are in minutes not seconds!) at calibrated levels with full commentary and explanation. Everything on the tape relates back to the calibration manual notes and explanation.
The Record chain tape is a brand new full length 7" tape of the type you will set your machine up on.
Instruction Manuals are requested and sent to you via a download service as a pdf
Do you want add a second machine model or equalisation speed or want to set up on multiple tape types? We offer extra add-on kits for purchasers of this full kit which provides additional options and usability to this base kit in an economical bundle.