TEAC A7300 A7400 A6600 A6700 Ampex ATR700 PINCH ROLLER
TEAC ATR PINCH ROLLER Our Part No. Teac A7300
This Pinch roller is for the specific model shown as a single pinch roller.
Teac A6600, A6700, A6700DX, A7300, A7300RX, A7400, A7400RX, 35-2, 25-2
This kit contains:
- European made new non OEM pinch rollers using a modern synthetic rubber formulation.
All our kits and parts use specially sourced, new, freshly manufactured components from reliable manufacturers whom we have been dealing with for many years. NO NOS (new old stock) NO 2nd hand items!! Never buy or use a 2nd hand pinch roller - its just not worth it!
Nagravox continually researches pinch rollers, manufacturers and materials and is pleased to be able to offer a comprehensive assortment for a number of machines. Although we are specialists in Revox, Studer and Nagra we are also responding to many inquiries for other makes.
SHARING SOME EXPERIENCE and RESEARCH on PINCH ROLLERS
- HARDNESS / SOFTNESS.
- Pinch Roller profile. If you research the history of pinch rollers, Studer tried many different formulations, bush systems and profiles. Originally profiles were wide, flat and pinch rollers harder. Then they tried reducing the edge conflict by reducing width and profiling with a slight convex shape and softer ADP formulations so pressure was concentrated in the centre. The problem with this is that it is difficult to align the tape exactly at the peak of the convex profile. Then they went back to a flat profile and a harder formulation. No doubt if Studer had continued we would have seen other trials and tribulations.
- AGE. How old is that 'new' pinch roller you bought? There are a mere handful of pinch roller manufacturers in the world . Some cling to old dated designs and profiles. Others believe they will make a fortune by making them as cheap as possible. Cheap Chinese I believe are available. A bigger problem is many vendors acquire over the years NOS stock of pinch rollers at a bargain price. Here is our answer to a very misguided supposition by most people.
- The condition of your motor shaft is paramount. A shiny shaft matching the tape profile is an indication the shaft has done a lot of hours work and will not grip the tape effectively resulting in an increase wow. The shaft should be a dull grey colour. Shafts can be reconditioned and the dull grey restored using a special micro bead blasting technique.
- The tape tension is also important because the PR / capstan is a regulating system not a driving system. This is controlled rudimentarily in early and most Revox machines with back tension fixed but in later and Studer machines it is measured and controlled dynamically and can be precisely set / calibrated.
- Both formulations used in our pinch rollers are carefully determined and controlled so as to maintain surface contact rigidity and minimise wow and flutter over their lifetime. Sometimes we offer ADP and others only black rubber and some both - this is based on our findings as best for the model considered.